The Star rank requirements will be revised effective April 1,
1999. Scouts may complete Star rank using the old requirements until
April 1, 1999 and may complete Star rank using these new
requirements beginning January 1, 1999. Due to the time needed to fulfill
requirement 1, any Scout who becomes First Class
after December 1, 1998 must use these requirements.
- Be active in your troop or patrol for at least
4 months as a First Class Scout.
- Demonstrate scout spirit by living the Scout Oath
(Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.
- Earn six merit badges, including four from the
required list for Eagle. *
(* The required list for Eagle
has 15 merit badges
in 12 categories. Any of the 15 may be used
for this requirement.)
- While a First Class Scout, take part in
projects totaling at least 6 hours of work. These
projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster.
- While a First Class Scout, serve
actively 4 months
in one or more of the following positions of
responsibility (or carry out a Scoutmaster-assigned
leadership project to help the troop):
Boy Scout troop.
assistant senior patrol leader,
senior patrol leader,
junior assistant scoutmaster,
Venture crew chief.
Varsity Scout team.
- Take part in a Scoutmaster conference
- Complete your board of review.