Requirements for Music merit badge were revised effective January 1,
- Sing or play a simple song or hymn picked by your
counselor using good technique, phrasing, tone, rhythm, and
dynamics. Read all the signs and terms of the score.
- Name the four general groups of musical instruments.
Tell how you get tones from one instrument in each group.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Go to a classical or semiclassical musical
performance; or listen to 3 hours of such programs
on radio, television, tapes, records, compact discs, or videos.
Report what you heard. Name the composers, artists, and
conductors. Know the story of any
program music or opera you heard. Talk over how you
feel about the music.
- Outline the development of music in the United
States. Show that you know the lives and works of
five better-known American composers and
- Serve for 6 months as a member of a school, church,
Scout unit, or other local musical organization; or
perform as a soloist in public six times.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Teach three songs to a group of people. Lead them in
singing the songs. Use proper hand motions.
- Compose and write the score for a piece of music 12
measures or more.
- Make a primitive instrument. Learn to play
- Catalog your own or your family collection of 12 or
more tapes, records, or compact discs. Show how to handle and