Requirements for Music merit badge from ? to January 1, 1998:
- Sing or play a simple song or hymn picked by your
counselor. Read all the signs and terms of the score.
Use good technique, phrasing, tone, dynamics, and
- Name the four general groups of musical instruments.
Tell how you get tones from one of each group.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Go to a classical or semiclassical musical
performance; or listen to 3 hours of such programs
on radio, television, tapes, or records. Report what
you heard. Tell who wrote them. Tell who the artists
were. Name the conductors. Know the story of any
program music or opera you heard. Talk over how you
feel about the music.
- Outline the development of music in the United
States. Show that you know the lives and works of
five of this country's better-known composers and
- Serve for 6 months as a member of a school, church,
Scout unit, or other town musical organization; or
take part as a soloist in public six times.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Teach three songs to a group of people. Lead them in
singing the songs. Use proper hand motions.
- Compose and write the score for a piece of music 12
measures or more.
- Make a primitive musical instrument. Learn to play
- Catalog your own or your family collection of 12 or
more tapes or records. Show how to handle and store