The requirements for Dentistry merit badge were revised effective
January 1, 1998.
- Borrow X-ray photographs. Study the tooth structure.
Look for decay. Then do the following:
- Use the X-ray as a guide to draw the lower molar.
Label its parts and surfaces. Show surrounding
structures such as bone and gum tissues.
- Show on your drawing where the nerves and blood
vessels enter the tooth.
- Show on your drawing where bacterial plaque is
most likely to be found.
- Do the following:
- Tell or write about what causes dental decay and gum disease.
Tell what each of the
following does: bacterial plaque, sugars, and acid.
- Show that you can teach others the
proper use of a toothbrush, dental floss, and
disclosing wafers to clean bacterial plaque from
- Arrange for a visit with a dentist. Before going, ask
if you can be given a dental examination and a plaque-
control demonstration. Afterward, ask questions about
things you want to know. Then write a report on what the
dentist does in a checkup examination.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Name at least five instruments a dentist uses. On
separate sheets of paper, draw them, label them,
and explain how they are used.
- With the help of a dentist, prepare a dental
plaster cast using a vibrator, mixing bowl, water
measure, plaster measure, model plaster, spatula,
and rubber mold.
- Keep a record of everything you eat for 3 days.
Circle those that may provide sugars needed for the
bacterial plaque to make acid. List snacks that
you should avoid to maintain the best oral
- Talk about all of the following. Then select one and
prepare a written report:
- How fluorides help prevent tooth decay. The ways
fluorides can be provided to the teeth.
- First aid for saving a tooth that has been knocked
- How the mouth is related to the rest
of the body. Topics might
include chewing, saliva, enzymes, nutrition, and
- Do TWO of the following:
- Make a model tooth of soap, clay, papier-mache, or
wax. Using a string and a large hand brush, show proper
toothbrushing and flossing to
your troop or a school class.
- Make a poster on prevention of dental disease. Show
the need for good oral health.
- Collect at least five advertisements for different
toothpastes. List the claims that are made for
each. Tell about the accuracy of the
- Write a feature story for your school newspaper on
proper care of teeth and gums. Show it to your
counselor for approval.
- Make drawings and write about the progress of dental decay.
Describe the types of dental fillings and treatments a dentist can use to
repair dental decay problems.
- Do either (a) or (b):
- Report on careers in dentistry. Report what you have learned.
- Prepare a four-part outline on jobs in dentistry.
Under the headings "Dentist," "Dental Hygienist,"
"Dental Assistant," and "Dental Laboratory
Technician" list the kinds of duties, education, costs of
education, length of
training, and other information to describe these