Requirements for Dentistry merit badge from ? to January 1, 1998:
- Borrow X-ray photographs. Study the tooth structure.
Look for decay. Then:
- Use the X-ray as a guide to draw the lower molar.
Label its parts and surfaces. Show surrounding
structures such as bone and gum tissues.
- Show on your drawing where the nerves and blood
vessels enter the tooth.
- Show on your drawing where bacterial plaque is
most likely to be found.
- Do the following:
- Tell or write about dental decay and gum disease
and what causes these. Tell what each of the
following does: bacterial plaque, sugars, and acid.
- Show that you have learned how to teach others the
proper use of a toothbrush, dental floss, and
disclosing wafers to clean bacterial plaque from
- Arrange for a visit with a dentist. Before going, ask
if you can be given a dental examination and a plaque-
control demonstration. Afterward, ask questions about
things you want to know. Then write a report n what the
dentist does in a checkup examination.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Name at least five instruments a dentist uses. On
separate sheets of paper, draw them, label them,
and explain how they are used.
- With the help of a dentist, prepare a dental
plaster cast using a vibrator, mixing bowl, water
measure, plaster measure, model plaster, spatula,
and rubber mold.
- Keep a record of everything you eat for 3 days.
Circle those that may provide sugars needed for the
bacterial plaque to make acid. List snacks that
should not be eaten to maintain the best oral
- Talk about all of the following. Then select one and
prepare a written report:
- How fluorides help prevent tooth decay. The ways
fluorides can be provided to the teeth.
- First aid for saving a tooth that has been knocked
- The ways in which the mouth is related to the rest
of the body. Things to be talked about might
include chewing, saliva, enzymes, nutrition, and
- Do TWO of the following:
- Make a model tooth of soap, clay, papier-mache, or
wax and show proper toothbrushing and flossing to
your troop or a school class using a large hand
- Make a poster on prevention of dental disease. Show
the need for good oral health.
- Collect at least five advertisements for different
toothpastes. List the claims that are made for
each. Tell about the accuracy of the
- Write a feature story for your school newspaper on
proper care of teeth and gums. Show it to your
counselor for approval.
- Sketch the teeth of different kinds of animals.
Show the difference between animals that eat meat
and those that have vegetable diets. Tell how they
make use of these differences for killing, tearing,
shredding, and grinding.
- Do either (a) or (b):
- Study careers in dentistry. What are the different
specialties of dentistry and what do they do?
Report what you have learned.
- Prepare a four-part outline on jobs in dentistry.
Under the headings "Dentist," "Dental Hygienist,"
"Dental Assistant," and "Dental Laboratory
Technician" list the kinds of duties, high school
or college needed, costs or education, length of
training, and other information to describe these