Requirements for Second Class rank from ? to September
NOTE: These requirements may be worked on simultaneously
with those for the Tenderfoot and
however these ranks must be earned in sequence.
- Demonstrate how a compass works and how to orient
a map. Explain what map symbols mean.
- Using a compass and a map you've drawn, take a
5-mile hike (or 10 miles by bike) approved by
your adult leader and your parent or guardian.*
- Since joining, have participated in five separate
troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol
meetings), two of which included camping overnight.
- On one campout, demonstrate proper care, sharpening,
and use of knife, saw, and ax.
- Use the tools listed above to prepare tinder,
kindling, and fuel for a cooking fire.
- Light the cooking fire. Assist with the meal
preparation and cleanup.
- On one of these campouts, select your patrol
site and sleep in a tent that you pitched.
Participate in a flag ceremony for your school,
religious institution, chartered organization,
community, or troop activity.
Participate in an approved (minimum of 1 hour)
Identify or show evidence of at least 10 kinds of
wild animals (birds, mammals, reptiles, fish,
mollusks) found in your community.
- Show what to do for "hurry" cases of stopped
breathing, serious bleeding, and internal poisoning.
- Prepare a personal first aid kit to take with you
on a hike.
- Demonstrate first aid for the following:
- Object in the eye
- Bite of a suspected rabid animal
- Puncture wounds from a splinter, nail,
and fish hook
- Serious burns (second degree)
- Heat exhaustion
Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe swim.
Demonstrate your ability to swim 50 yards using two
different strokes. **
Participate in a school, community, or troop program
on the dangers of using drugs, alcohol, and tobacco,
and other practices that could be harmful to your
health. Discuss your participation in the program
with your family.
- Show Scout spirit.
- Participate in a Scoutmaster conference.
* If you are using a wheelchair or crutches, or
if it is difficult for you to get around, you may
substitute "trip" for "hike" in this requirement.
** This requirement may be waived by the troop
committee for medical or safety reasons.
NOTE: Alternate requirements for the Second Class rank
are available for Scouts with physical or mental
disabilities if they meet the criteria listed on
page 6 of the 1995-97 Boy Scout Requirements book.
No. 33218 (See article entitled: Alt. Reqs.for
Tenderfoot Second Class and First Class Ranks)