The requirements for Waterskiing merit badge were revised effective
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or
illnesses that could occur while waterskiing,
including hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion,
dehydration, sunburn, insect stings, tick bites,
blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Do the following:
- Identify the conditions that must exist before
performing CPR on a person. Explain how such
conditions are recognized.
- Demonstrate proper technique for performing CPR
using a training device approved by your counselor.
- Before doing the following requirements, successfully
complete the BSA swimmer test. Jump feetfirst into
water over your head in depth, swim 75 yards or
75 meters in a strong manner using one or more of
the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke,
trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards or 25 meters
using an easy resting backstroke.
The 100 yards or 100 meters must be swum continuously
and include at least one sharp turn. After completing
the swim, rest by floating as motionless as possible.
- Know the Water-Skier's Safety Code. Promise that you
will live up to it. Follow it in all water work for
this badge. Know the safety precautions that must be
used by the boat operator in pulling skiers.
- Show the following water-skier signals to safety
observer in boat: in-gear, start, faster, slower,
speed required, speed OK, turns, stop, back to dock,
cut motor, skier in water. Help others to ski by
acting as the safety observer in the boat.
- Show you can adjust binders that fit, to fit. Put on
skis in knee-deep water.
- Make a shallow-water start on two skis without help.
- Show you can fall properly in avoiding an obstacle.
Drop handle and coast to a stop without loss of
- Show you can recover skis that have come off during a
fall. Put skis on in deep water. Make a deep-water
start on two skis without help.
- Show you can cross both wakes and return to center of
wake without falling. Repeat three times.
- On two skis, jump off the wake. Lift both skis clear
of the water.
- During a demonstration run, lift one ski clear of the
water for 2 seconds. Then do the same with the other
ski. Show that you are steady and comfortable on skis
at all times.
- Ski on one ski for 30 seconds. Show reasonable