The title for Veterinary Science merit badge was changed to Veterinary
Medcine effective September 1, 1995.
- Tell the normal posture or attitude, motion or action
of two farm animals and two companion animals.
- Make chart showing the normal body temperature, heart
and respiration rates of the horse, cow, pig, sheep,
dog, and cat.
- Make a schematic drawing of at least two of the
following body systems. Label the parts. Explain the
function of each part; respiratory, digestive, skeletal,
- Prepare a program of animal health maintenance for
two farm animals and one pet. Emphasize adequate
housing, feeding, watering, exercise, and grooming
care, if required. Give the kinds of food that each
- Tell the importance of proper nutrition in farm
animals and pets.
- Define bacterium, virus, and parasite. Tell how they
cause diseases in animals. Name two diseases of farm
animals and of pets caused by each.
- Show with drawings the stages of the life cycles of
the tick, dog roundworm, and dog heartworm.
- Name five diseases of animals transmissible to humans.
- Spend as much time as possible with a veterinarian.
Watch the kind of work he does. Prepare a written
summary of your experience.
- Tell about veterinary activities other than direct
treatment and handling of animals.