- Learn how to use the library (card file or computer), and
with the assistance of your counselor or your librarian,
select six books of four diverse types (such as poetry,
drama/plays, fiction, nonfiction, and biographies).
After you have read this material, discuss your reading
with the counselor or librarian. Using a log as a
reference, explain why you chose the material, whether
you enjoyed it and what it meant to you.
- Read two books or material from any two sources
(magazines, newspapers, field manuals, etc.) about the
world around you (sports, environmental problems,
politics, religion, etc.) and discuss your reading with
- From a catalog of your choice, fill out the application
as if you intended to place an order, and discuss it with
- Choose ONE of the following activities and devote 4
hours of service to that activity.
- Read to a sick, blind (contact the American
Foundation for the Blind at 1-800-232-5463), or
homebound person, in a hospital, or in an extended
- Perform volunteer work at your school or public
- Read stories to younger children in a group or
- Assist in a literacy program (Project Literacy may
be contacted at 1-800-228-8843 for information about
the nearest library center) and discuss your
participation with your counselor.