Pulp and Paper
- Tell the history of papermaking. Describe the part paper
products play in our culture and economy.
- List the trees which are the major sources of
- Tell what other uses are made of the trees and of
the forest land owned by the pulp and paper
- Describe ways the industry plants, grows, and
- Describe two ways of getting fibers from wood.
- What are the major differences?
- Why are some pulps bleached? Describe this process.
- Describe how paper is made. Make a sheet of paper by
hand using the process described.
- What is coated paper, and why is it coated? Describe the
major uses for different kinds of coated paper. In what
other ways are papers changed by chemical or mechanical
means to make new uses possible?
- Make a list of 15 pulp or paper products in your home.
Show samples of 10 such products.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Visit a pulp mill. Describe how they convert wood
into cellulose fibers.
- Visit a paper mill and get a sample of the paper.
Describe the processes used for making this paper.
Tell how the paper will be used.
- Visit a container plant or box plant. Describe how
the product was made.
- Visit a printer or newspaper plant to learn how they
use paper. Describe the visit. Explain why
particular types of paper were used.
- Describe six of the major jobs in the pulp and paper