Under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, some plants
and animals are or may be protected by federal law. The same
ones or others may be protected by state law. Be sure that
you do not collect protected species.
- Name three ways in which plants are important to
- Name three ways in which animals are important to
- Explain the term "food chain." Give an example of a
four-step land food chain and a four-step water food
- Do all the requirements in FIVE of the following fields:
- In the field, identify eight species of birds.
- Make and set out a birdhouse; OR a feeding station;
OR a birdbath. List what birds used it during 1
- In the field, identify three species of wild
- Make plaster casts of the tracks of a wild mammal.
Reptiles or Amphibians
- Show that you can recognize the poisonous snakes in
your area. Identify in the field three species of
reptiles or amphibians.
- Recognize one species of toad or frog by voice; OR
identify one reptile or amphibian by eggs, den,
burrow or other signs.
Insects or Spiders
- Collect, mount, and label 10 species of insects or
- Hatch an insect from the pupa or cocoon; OR hatch
adults from nymphs; OR keep larvae until they form
pupae or cocoons; OR keep a colony of ants or bees
through one season.
- Catch and identify two species of fish.
- Collect four kinds of animal food eaten by fish in
Mollusks and Crustaceans
- Identify five species of mollusks and crustaceans.
- Collect, mount, and label six shells.
- In the field, identify 15 species of wild plants.
- Collect and label seeds of six plants; OR the leaves
of 12 plants.
Soils and Rocks
- Collect and identify soils found in different layers
of a soil profile.
- Collect and identify five different types of rocks
from your area..
- Do ONE of the following:
- Raise tadpoles from eggs; OR raise adults from
tadpoles; OR keep and adult reptile so it stays
healthy for 1 month.
- Develop a simple aquarium with fish and plant life.
Keep it so that they stay healthy for 1 month.
- Develop an aquarium. Keep in it two species of
mollusks or crustaceans so that they stay healthy
for 1 month.
- Build a terrarium with three species of plants. Keep
it so the plants stay healthy for 1 month.
- Grow seeds for 1 month in two kinds of soil.
Describe difference in rate of growth.