- Collect samples of five different kinds of leather.
Learn the chief characteristics and best uses of each.
- Make an article of leather which uses at least four of
- Transfer of a cutting pattern or tooling design.
- Cutting leather
- Decoration of leather by tooling or stamping.
- Applying dye and/or finish to the project.
- Punching holes
- Lacing or stitching
- Recondition or show that you can take proper care of
leather shoes or leather articles such as hiking boots
or a baseball glove.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Learn how to tan, cure, and finish leather.
- Tan or cure the skin of a small animal.
- Plait or braid an article of leather. Make a
terminal Turk's head.
- Visit a leather shop, tannery, saddle shop, or a
leather goods manufacturer. Find out how they use
leather and report what you learned.