* If it is
impossible for your to arrange such a visit,
discuss with your counselor the duties and responsibilities
of a lawyer who works for one of the groups listed.
- Define "Law." Tell some of its sources. Describe
functions it serves.
- Discuss two of the following:
- The Justinian Code, The Code of Hammurabi, and the
- The development of the jury system.
- Two famous trials in history.
- Tell what civil law is; criminal law. Tell the main
differences between them. Give examples of each.
- Ask five people (not more than one from your immediate
family) about the role of law enforcement officers in
our society. Discuss their answers with them. Go to a
law enforcement officer in your neighborhood and ask
him about his responsibilities and duties. Report your
- Tell what a contract is. Must all contracts be in
writing? Explain. Tell about several laws that have
been passed to protect the consumer and the seller.
Tell about several organizations there are to help
- Do ONE of the following:
- Attend a session of a civil or criminal court.
Write 250 words or more on what you saw.
- Plan and conduct a mock trial with your troop or
school class. After the trail is over, discuss it
with the group.
- Arrange a visit with a lawyer who works for a business,
bank, title company, or government. Find out his
duties and responsibilities. Report what you learned. *
- Explain the requirements for becoming a lawyer in your
state. Describe how judges are selected in your state.
- Make a list of 15 jobs which deal with some aspect of
law or legal processes. Tell which you prefer. Why?
- Tell where a person can go if he needs the help of a
lawyer but is unable to pay for one. Tell what he can
do if he can afford a lawyer but does not know of any
in his area.