The requirements for Hiking merit badge were revised effective January
Hiking will become an optional required merit badge for Eagle Scout rank effective April 1, 1998.
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or
illnesses that could occur while hiking, including
hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion, frostbite,
dehydration, sunburn, insect stings, tick bites,
snakebite, blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Explain and show, where possible, the main points of
good hiking practices.
- Make a written plan for a 10-mile hike. Including map
routes, a clothing and equipment list, and a list of
things for a trail lunch.
- Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of
at least ten continuous miles.
- Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in 1 day.
- After each hike, write a short report of your
experience. Give dates and descriptions of routes covered, weather,
and any interesting things you saw.