Requirements for Hiking merit badge from ? to January 1, 1998:
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or
illnesses that could occur while hiking, including
hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion, frostbite,
dehydration, sunburn, insect stings, tick bites,
snakebite, blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Explain and show, where possible, the main points of
good hiking practices.
- Make a written plan for a 10-mile hike. Including map
routes, a clothing and equipment list, and a list of
things for a trail lunch.
- Take five hikes of 10 continuous miles each, on 5 days.
- Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in 1 day.
- Within a month of the last hike and after taking all
six hikes, make a short report of each of the six
hikes. Give dates, routes covered, weather, and any
interesting things you saw.