Emergency Preparedness is an optional required merit badge for the Eagle Scout
- Earn First Aid merit badge.
- Do the following:
- Tell what you would do to prevent injury and
possible loss of life to yourself and others in
each of the following emergencies: fire or
explosion at home and in a public building, car
stalled in a blizzard or desert, motor vehicle
accident, mountain accident, food poisoning,
boating accident, search for lost person, lost or
marooned group, gas leak, earthquake, flood,
tornado or hurricane, atomic emergency, and
avalanche (snow or rock).
- Show that you know what to do in at least TWO of
- Show how you could safely save a person from the
- Touching a live electric wire.
- A room with carbon monoxide or other fumes or
- Clothes on fire.
- Drowning using nonswimming rescues (including ice
- Tell the things a group of Scouts should be prepared to
do, the training needed, and the safety precautions to
be taken for the following emergency service:
- Crowd and traffic control
- Messenger service and communication.
- Collection and distribution services.
- Group feeding, shelter, and sanitation.
- Take part in an emergency service project, either real
or a practice drill.
- Show three ways of attracting and communicating with
- With another person, show a good way to move an injured
person out of a remote and rugged area, conserving the
energy of all the rescuers.
- Do the following:
- Prepare a written plan for mobilizing your troop
when needed to do emergency service. If there is a
plan, explain it. Tell your part in making it work.
- Take part in at least troop mobilization. Describe
- Show the personal "emergency pack" which you have
prepared to be ready for a mobilization call. Show
a family kit (suitcase or box) for use by your
family in case an emergency evacuation is needed.
Explain the need.
- Show proper use of ropes and lines for rescue work by
doing the following:
- Tie knots for joining lines. Tie knots for
shortening or adjusting lines. Tie knots for
- Lower a person from a height sufficient to show
- Coil and accurately throw light and heavy 50-foot