The requirements for Communications merit badge were revised effective
January 1, 1998.
Communications is a required merit badge for the Eagle Scout
- Develop a plan to teach a skill. Have your merit badge counselor
approve the plan. Make teaching aids. Carry out your plan. With your
counselor, check to see if you have successfully taught the skill.
- Choose a product or service. Build a sales plan based on its good
points. Try to "sell" your merit badge counselor on buying it from you.
Talk with the counselor about how well you did in telling about the
product or service and convincing the counselor to buy it.
- Do the following:
- Show how you would make a telephone call inviting an
expert in the
field of your choice to give a demonstration to your unit
on that person's
area of expertise.
- Show how to create an effective recorded message and
how to leave a voice-mail message.
- Do the following:
- Write a 5-minute speech. Give it at a meeting of a
- Show how to introduce a guest speaker.
- Attend a town meeting where two or three points of view
are being given. Listen and take notes. Make a report
from your notes. Tell your troop or patrol what you
think you heard.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Write to the editor of a magazine or your local
newspaper to express your opinion or share information (on any subject you
choose). Or, write to an individual or organization to request information
(on any subject). Send your message by fax or electronic mail, if
possible. Otherwise, mail a traditional paper letter.
- Create a page on the World Wide Web for yourself or
to give information about your unit, school, or other organization.
Include at least one article and one photograph or illustration.
- Use desktop publishing to produce a newsletter,
brochure, flier, or other printed material for your unit, school,
chartered organization, or other group. Include at least one article and
one photograph or illustration.
- Plan a troop court of honor or campfire program. Give
it to the patrol leader's council for approval.
Write the script. Prepare the program for reproduction.
Act as master of ceremonies.
- Prepare an autobiographical resume that you would use
in applying for a job.
- Check careers in the field of communications. Choose one career and
discuss with your counselor the qualifications and preparation needed for