- Do the following:
- Describe how aviation has affected our world.
- Define "aircraft". Describe some kinds of aircraft
in use today.
- List at least 10 uses of aircraft.
- Do the following:
- Point out on a model plane the forces that act on
an airplane in flight.
- Applying Bernoulli's Principle, explain how an
airfoil generates lift, how the primary control
surfaces (ailerons, elevator, and rudder) affect
the aircraft's altitude, and how a propeller
- Show how the control surfaces of an airplane are used
for takeoff, straight climb, level turn, climbing turn,
descending turn, straight descent, and landing.
- Identify the following aircraft instruments and explain
the purposes of each: attitude indicator, altimeter,
airspeed indicator, compass, turn and bank indicator,
tachometer, oil pressure gauge, and temperature gauge.
- Explain the differences in the operation of piston,
turbojet, turboprop, and turbofan engines.
- Tell six rules of safety to follow around airplanes and
- Do TWO of the following:
- Take a flight in an aircraft. Record the date,
place, type of aircraft, duration of flight, and
your impressions of the flight.
- On a map mark a route for an imaginary trip of at
least 3,000 miles. Start from the commercial
airport nearest your home. Travel three or more
different airlines. From timetables, decide from
when you will get to and leave from all connecting
- Visit a modern airport. After the visit tell how
the facilities are used.
- Under supervision, perform a preflight inspection
of a light plane.
- Learn how to read an aeronautical chart. Measure a
true course on the chart. Correct it for magnetic
variation, compass deviation, and wind drift.
Arrive at a compass heading.
- Build and fly a fuel-driven model airplane.
Describe safety rules for building and flying model
airplanes. Tell safety rules for use of glue, dope,
paint, and plastics.
- Find out what job opportunities there are in
aviation. Describe the qualifications and working
conditions on one job in which you are interested.
Tell what it offers for reaching your goal in life.