Choose TWO groups that have different racial, cultural,
national, or ethnic backgrounds. Use these groups to meet
requirements 1, 2, and 3. Also complete requirement 4
and either requirement 5a or 5b.
- Do TWO of the following, choosing a different group for
- Go to a festival, celebration, or other event
identified with one of the groups. Report on what
you see and learn.
- Go to a church, clubhouse, school, or other
institution identified with one of the groups.
Report on what you see and learn.
- Talk with a person from one of the groups about
the heritage and traditions of the group. Report
on what you learn.
- Learn a song or dance or poem or story which is
traditional to one group, and teach it to a group
of your friends.
- Go to a library or museum to see a program or
exhibit featuring one group's traditions. Report
on what you see and learn.
- Imagine that one of the groups had always lived alone
in a city or country to which no other groups ever
came. Tell what you think the city or country might be
like today. Now tell what you think it might be like if
both groups lived there at the same time.
- Tell about some differences between the religions and
social customs of the two groups. Tell about some
ideas, or ways of doing things, which are almost the
same in both groups.
- Tell about a contribution made to our country by three
different people each from a different background such
as black American, white American, native American,
Hispanic-American, Asian-American, or any other
background of your choosing. Their backgrounds may be
religious, as well, such as Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.
- Do ONE of the Following:
- Give a talk to your troop or school class on how
people from different groups have gotten along
together. Lead a discussion on what can be done
to help various groups understand one another
- Tell about some achievements of the United Nations
accomplished by people of many cultures and beliefs
working in one organization. Tell how the U.N. has
dealt with some problems caused by conflicts between