The requirements for Wolf Electives were revised
in the 1998
edition of the Wolf Cub Scout Book.
- IT'S A SECRET
- Use a secret code. - Teaches them a simple code.
- Write to a friend in invisible "ink"
- "Write" your name with the alphabet deaf and hearing
impaired people use.
- Use 12 Indian signs to tell a story.
- BE AN ACTOR
- Help to plan and put on a skit with costumes.
- Make some scenery for a skit.
- Make sound effects for a den skit.
- Be the announcer for a den skit.
- Make a paper sack mask for a skit.
- MAKE IT YOURSELF
- Make something useful for your home, church, or school.
- Measure to see how far you can stretch your hand
- A bench fork.
- A door stop.
- Or something else.
- PLAY A GAME
- Play Pie-tin Washer Toss.
- Play Marble Sharpshooter.
- Play Ring Toss.
- Play Beanbag Toss.
- Play a game of Marbles.
- SPARETIME FUN
- Explain safety rules for kite flying.
- Make and fly a kite.
- OR Make a two-stick kite.
- OR Make a three-stick kite.
- Make and use a reel for kite string.
- Make a model boat with a rubber-band propeller.
- Make or put together some kind of model boat.
(You can get credit each time you make a different model boat.)
- BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS
- Go to a public library with a grown-up.
Find out how to get your own library card. Name four
kinds of books that interest you (for example, history,
science fiction, how-to-books).
- Choose a book on a subject you like and read it. With an
adult, discuss what you read and what you think about.
- Books are important. Show that you know how to take care
of them. Open a new book the right way. Make a paper
or plastic cover for it or another book.
- FOOT POWER
- Learn to walk on a pair of stilts.
- Make a pair of "puddle jumpers" and walk with them.
- Make a pair of "footracers" and use them with a friend.
- MACHINE POWER
- Name 10 kinds of trucks, construction machinery, or farm
- Use a wheel and axle.
- Use a pulley.
- Make and use a windlass.
- LET'S HAVE A PARTY
- Make a gift or toy like one of these (shown in book) and
give it to someone.
- (Elective credit may be given for each
- Help with a home or den party.
- AMERICAN INDIAN LORE
- Read a book or tell a story about Indians.
- Make an Indian tom-tom.
- Make an Indian costume.
- Finish a feather for a headband or other decoration.
- Make a headband for the finished feather.
- Learn 12 word pictures (given) and write a story with
- Learn and sing the first and last verses of "America."
- Learn and sing the first verse of our National Anthem.
- Learn the words and sing three Cub Scout songs.
- Learn the words and sing the first verse of three other
songs, hymns, or prayers. Write the verse of one of
the songs learned.
- Learn a song that would be sung as a grace before meals.
Write the words here. (In your book)
- BE AN ARTIST
- Make a freehand sketch.
- Tell a story in three steps by drawing three cartoons.
- Mix yellow and blue paints to make green; yellow and red
to make orange; and red and blue to make violet.
- Help draw, paint, or crayon some scenery for a den or
pack skit or puppet show.
- Make a stencil pattern.
- Make a poster for a Cub Scout project or pack meeting.
- Make a list of all the birds you saw in a week and tell
where you saw them (field, forest, marsh, yard, or park).
- Put out nesting material (yarn and string) for birds and
tell which birds might use it.
- Read a book about birds.
- Point out 10 different kinds of birds (5 may be from pictures).
- Feed wild birds and tell which birds you fed.
- Put out a birdhouse and tell which birds use it.
- Take care of a pet.
- Know what to do when you meet a strange dog.
- Read a book about a pet and tell about it at a den meeting.
- Tell what is meant by rabid. Tell what you should do if
you see a dog or wild animal that acts as if it may be rabid.
- GROW SOMETHING
- Plant and raise a box garden.
- Plant and raise a flower bed.
- Grow a plant indoors.
- Plant and raise vegetables.
- FAMILY ALERT
- Talk with your family about what you will do in an
- In case of a bad storm or flood, know where you can get
safe food and water in your home. Tell how to purify
water. Show one way. Know where and how to shut off
water, electricity, gas, or oil.
- Make a list of your first aid supplies, or make a first
aid kit. Know where the first aid things are kept.
- TIE IT RIGHT
- Learn to tie an overhand knot and a square knot.
- Tie your shoelaces with a square bow knot.
- Wrap and tie a package so that it is neat and tight.
- Tie a stack of newspapers the right way.
- Tie two cords together with an overhand knot.
- Learn to tie a necktie.
- Wrap the end of a rope with tape to keep it from
- OUTDOOR ADVENTURE
- Help plan and hold a picnic with your family or den.
- With your folks, help plan and run a family or den outing.
- Help plan and lay out a treasure hunt something like
this. (Example map shown in book.)
- Help plan and lay out an obstacle race. Use this idea or
make up your own.
- Help plan and lay out an adventure trail.
- Take part in two summertime pack events with your den.
- Point out poison plants. Tell what to do if you
accidentally touch one of them.
- Point out five fish.
- Rig a pole with the right kind of line. Attach a hook,
bobber, and sinker, if you need them. Then go fishing.
- Fish with members of your family or a grown-up. Bait
your hook and catch a fish.
- Know the rules of safe fishing.
- Tell some of the fishing laws where you live.
- Show how to use a rod and reel.
- Play a game of tennis, table tennis, or badminton.
- Know boating safety rules.
- Know archery safety rules. Know how to shoot right. Put
four of six arrows into a 1.2 meter target that is 15
steps away from you.
- Understand the safety and courtesy codes for skiing.
Show walking and kick turn. Do climbing with side stop
or herringbone. Show the snowplow or stem turn, and
how to get up from a fall.
- Know the safety rules for ice skating. Skate, without
falling, as far as you can walk in 50 steps. Come to a
stop. Show a turn from forward to backward.
- In roller skating, know the safety rules. From a
standing start, skate forward as far as you can walk in
50 steps. Come to a stop within 10 walking steps.
Skate around a corner one way without coasting. Then
do the same coming back. Show a turn from forward to
- Go bowling. (Following all the rules.)
- Show how to make a sprint start in track. Run 45 meters
in 11 seconds or less.
- Play a game of touch or flag football.
- Play a game of soccer. Show how to dribble and kick.
- Play a game of baseball or softball.
- Show how to shoot, pass, and dribble a basketball. Take
part in a game.
- COMPUTER FUN
- Visit a place where computers are used. Find out what
they are used for.
- Play a computer game.
- Turn a computer on and off.
- SAY IT RIGHT
- Say "Hello" in a language other than English. (Examples
given in book.)
- Count to ten in a language other than English.
- Tell a short story to your den, your den leader, or a
- Tell how to get to a nearby police station from your
home, your den meeting, and school. Use directions and
- Invite a boy to join Cub Scouting or help a new Cub Scout
through the Bobcat trail.